Now that we know what Possibility Space is shaped like, whatís out there? Obviously, there are plenty of possibilities, good and bad. There is one cluster of possibilities that Iím particularly interested in. They combine to create a fascinating scenario for our future. I was going to save it, but what the hell ó the news is just too good.
Everything listed below lies within the possibility space of humanity. In fact, most if not all of these items are possible within our lifetimes. They can be achieved either through technologies we have now or through technologies that are logically implied by the ones we have now.
No magic or miracles are required.
Preserving and Nurturing the Biosphere
1. Methods of production that generate zero pollutants
2. Energy sources that produce zero pollutants
3. Reversing of previous environmental damage
4. Human population levels with zero negative environmental impact
5. Preservation of natural habitat for all living species
6. The long-term survival of all living species
7. The retrieval of lost species
8. The creation of new species and new biospheres
Standards of Living
1. Eradication of hunger worldwide
2. Adequate clean water, housing, clothing, for all
3. Medical care for all
4. Access to technology and knowledge for all who want it
5. Total economic independence for individuals and groups who desire it
Indefinite Human Lifespan
1. Eradication of aging and infectious disease
2. Quick, effective treatment for any kind of cancer
3. Effective prevention/cures for heart disease, diabetes, other chronic diseases
4. Suspension of life not sustainable by current means
5. The transfer of human consciousness to new media
1. Work necessary for economic viability, not for economic survival
2. Continued blurring of line between work and play
3. Full immersion VR to eliminate distance
4. Artificial Intelligences to assist us in work
1. Artificial Intelligences to entertain and befriend us
2. Full immersion VR to simulate any experience
3. Consumer model of entertainment rivaled by producer/participant model
I welcome additional items that anyone would like to add to the list.
There are different ways to make each of these happen, some of which are competitive with each other. For example, if we work just on eliminating disease and fixing human lifespan, without incorporating the preservation of life and the repair of the biosphere, we would only increase environmental damage.
So the win-win-win-win scenario for the human race is the one that incorporates all of these items working together.
Ponder that scenario. And ask yourself this question: how can we make sure that itís that future ó not some horrible one, or even just some also-ran ó that we end up with?
Weíll start working on that one next time.
[Although the entry above talks about Possibility Space and Practical Time Travel, it should stand on its own. Of course, if you're interested in finding out more about those topics, here's a list of previous entries in the series:
Anyhow, many thanks to Glenn for the link, and to you all for dropping by.]